Jump to top

    Suburb Information for Bonython (ACT 2905)

History

Sir John was a Newspaper owner, politician and philanthropist and was the sole proprietor of the Adelaide Advertiser from 1893 to 1929 which, under his direction, became a prominent Australian daily newspaper. Through the Advertiser he advocated Federation and was a member of the first and second Federal Parliaments. He made many important financial contributions, mainly to educational bodies which reflected his lifetime involvement in education, as well as a gift of 100,000 pounds in 1934 towards the cost of completing Parliament House, Adelaide.

The suburb name "Bonython" was gazetted on 17 October 1986

Street Naming Theme

Streets in Bonython are named after famous South Australians, particularly journalists, and South Australian Districts.

Facilities

Distance to City GPO:

1.7 km

Closest Major Shopping Centre

HYPERDOME - 2.1 km

Closest hospital

THE CANBERRA HOSPITAL - 9.9 km

Closest Educational Institutions:

Primary School

BONYTHON PRIMARY - 0.4 km

High School

COVENANT COLLEGE - 1.3 km

College

MACKILLOP COLLEGE - 1.6 km

University

AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL UNIVERSITY - 17.4 km

(approximate straight line distances)

Profile

Houses: 57.4%
Townhouses: 35.4%
Flats & units: 7.2%
Other: 0.0%
Average age: 35 years
Population: 3,838