Jump to top

    Suburb Information for Wanniassa (ACT 2903)

History

Wanniassa was named after a name associated with the Tuggeranong District of the Australian Capital Territory since the early days of settlement. Colonel Thomas Macquoid, the Sheriff of the Supreme Court of New South Wales purchased blocks in 1835 and amalgamated them to form his Wanniassa Estate. His son Thomas Hyacinth arrived in Sydney in 1836 and took over management of Wanniassa. In 1841 Macquoid was forced by bankruptcy to put the Wanniassa Estate up for auction. At the time of auction the Estate included 6,960 acres of land, cottage, meat house, out buildings, crops, sheep, cattle, horses and mares.

The suburb name "Wanniassa" was gazetted on 21 May 1974

Street Naming Theme

Street names in Wanniassa are named after Victorian state politicians.

Facilities

Distance to City GPO:

1.0 km

Closest Major Shopping Centre

ERINDALE SHOPPING CENTRE - 1.2 km

Closest hospital

THE CANBERRA HOSPITAL - 5.8 km

Closest Educational Institutions:

Primary School

WANNIASSA SCHOOL JUNIOR CAMPUS - 0.6 km

High School

WANNIASSA SCHOOL SENIOR CAMPUS - 0.6 km

College

ERINDALE COLLEGE - 0.8 km

University

AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL UNIVERSITY - 13.3 km

(approximate straight line distances)

Profile

Houses: 90.2%
Townhouses: 5.1%
Flats & units: 4.6%
Other: 0.1%
Average age: 39 years
Population: 7,786