Jump to top

    Suburb Information for Nicholls (ACT 2913)

History

Nicholls was named after Sir Douglas Ralph Nicholls (1906-1988) who was born at Cumeroongunga, an Aboriginal mission station in New South Wales. He moved to Victoria where he developed his athletic skills, becoming a first class sprinter and a State footballer. Sir Douglas joined the Church of Chrisr in 1932 where he later became a pastor. Sir Douglas was awarded an OBE in 1968 and became the Director of the Aboriginal Advancement League in Fitzroy in 1969. He was appointed to Governor of South Australia and was knighted in 1976 but was forced to retire through ill-health less than a year later.

The suburb name "Nicholls" was gazetted on 18 October 1991

Street Naming Theme

Street names in Nicholls are named after sportsmen and sportswomen.

Facilities

Distance to City GPO:

3.1 km

Closest Major Shopping Centre

THE MARKETPLACE - 3.4 km

Closest hospital

CALVARY PRIVATE HOSPITAL - 7.1 km

Closest Educational Institutions:

Primary School

GOLD CREEK PRIMARY SCHOOL, NICHOLLS - 0.7 km

High School

GOLD CREEK HIGH SCHOOL - 0.9 km

College

Gungahlin College - 3.3 km

University

UNIVERSITY OF CANBERRA, BRUCE - 5.8 km

(approximate straight line distances)

Profile

Houses: 86.4%
Townhouses: 13.4%
Flats & units: 0.2%
Other: 0.0%
Average age: 40 years
Population: 6,952