Hollywood star Cate Blanchett and her playwright husband Andrew Upton have sold their Hunters Hill trophy home Bulwarra, again.
This is the second time the A-list couple have scored a buyer on the historic 1877-built residence. It was sold in 2015 for $19.8 million to a buyer from China who later defaulted on the sale, forcing its return to the market.
There was no price disclosure on the sale by its exclusive listing agent Ken Jacobs, of Christie’s International, but he did confirm it had sold.
The $20 million asking price remained unchanged throughout the campaign.
A source said there were two to three interested parties in the property before it was sold to a local buyer.
Blanchett was in New York when the exchange took place, having made her Broadway debut on Sunday night in the Sydney Theatre Company’s The Present. The play, co-starring Richard Roxburgh, is an adaptation of Anton Chekov’s Platonov written by Upton.
The sale is expected to again set a suburb record. When it sold in 2015 for $19.8 million it had only been on the market for three weeks and the bullish result was 60 per cent higher than the previous suburb high of $12.85 million.
Blanchett and Upton purchased the 3642-square-metre estate for $10 million in 2005 from merchant banker Jim Dominguez and his wife Suzanne.
Architects Nadine Alwill and Stephen Lesiuk were commissioned to undertake a large-scale extension that took three years and more than $8 million.
The Blanchett-Upton family have since moved to Britain where they bought a historic English manor in East Sussex in 2015 for £3 million.
The previous exchange in 2015 coincided with a crackdown by Chinese authorities on capital outflows, forcing state-owned banks to delay or block large sums of money going overseas.
Foreign buyer difficulties were exacerbated by Australian banks last year when the big four started clamping down on loans obtained based on overseas income.
Set on one of the suburb’s largest privately owned blocks, it includes a separate self-contained apartment under the swimming pool, a riverfront tennis court and a Will Dangar-designed garden.
The historic residence was known as Erigola when it was built in 1877, and originally owned by brick manufacturer Herbert Oswin Weynton, who sold it for £750 in 1904 to Arnotts Biscuits company chairman Halse Rogers Arnott.
In 1909 it was bought by local alderman Charles Adnam Fairland for £900, and held by the family for almost 50 years until it was sold to ragtrader Thomas Powell in 1958.