Block size: 1012 m² approx.House size: 478 m² approx.
Architectural transformation genius
When we talk prime real estate, there may be no better example than this Battery Point house. In what can only be described as a mercurial transformation, owners with the assistance and deft touch of Maria Gigney Architects, have reshaped a treasured circa 1890s cottage to deliver a top-end minimalist contemporary residence.
Featured on Grand Designs Australia and profiled for its architectural genius in leading national design publications, the imposing waterfront property is expected to generate wide interest both locally and abroad in one of Tasmania's most hotly contested suburbs.
And it is easy to see why. The bespoke elements of the home are simply breathtaking. A fusion of old and new is meticulously balanced as the original remnants of the historical cottage have been restored and enhanced to meet the contemporary and sophisticated nature of its new ultra modern counterpart. They seamlessly connect via a transitional linkway that passes a classy master bedroom before opening up to the main living showcasing your spectacular water vista in full flight.
Materials throughout the new extension are considered and superior in their selection, use and sustainable nature. Energy efficiencies are brought to the fore through the use of precast and polished concrete, double-glazing and Tasmanian specialty timbers (Celery Top Pine and Tas Oak) accents used to soften the palette adorning the ceiling, walls and joinery.
The main living zone is the heart of the home with its mesmerising outlook, open plan living and galley-style kitchen complete with Butler's Pantry. The aesthetics are warm, refined and through a strategic use of glazing the eye is constantly drawn to your waterside bounty. Polished flooring inside and out extends your entertaining space in any season.
Towards water's edge the perfection continues with space and ambience for entertaining, 180 degree yacht spotting and a secluded glazed cube office positioned at the precipice to round out the upper level.
On the lower level, the surprises continue as does the attention to detail with a sublime heated lap pool, heated flooring deck and pool room for use at any time of the year along with an elegant bedroom and ensuite as part of the original cottage.
There is no other property that comes close to this package on the Tasmanian market at present. The supreme home over three levels is a residential masterpiece with functionality to suit a range of inhabitants from growing families to those looking to slow down in fine style.
Please follow the link to view the video of this stunning property.
- A fusion of old and new. Historical 1890s cottage blended beautifully with a minimalist contemporary extension over three levels right on water's edge in the heart of Battery Point.
- Cottage entry maintains historical connections with original front veranda decoration and floorboards playing host to two bedrooms with ensuite, office or third bedroom, sitting and kitchenette.
- Exquisite main living zone with kitchen, living, dining and adjoining deck area. Polished concrete flooring combined with exquisite timber accents (Tas Oak and Celery Top Pine) and considered glazing generates a warm and elegant living zone. Sweeping 180-degree panoramic views of the River Derwent.
- Long galley-style kitchen with detailed timber cabinetry including Butler's pantry and larder with sink, bench space, storage and wine racks. Quality Zug appliances (steam oven, oven and cooktop), Miele in-built coffee machine, dishwasher and refrigerator.
- Extensive outdoor entertaining space extends from the main living zone with glazed railings and positioning magnifying your waterside position. Elevated front glazed cubed office takes prime position at the front of upper deck.
- Generous stylish master bedroom positioned off main linkway including walk-in-robe, ensuite and a outdoor bathtub with granite tiled wall protruding on private exterior deck.
- A sustainable use of materials are highlights of the home. Energy efficiencies integrated throughout including structures, fittings and fixtures via double-glazing, gas hydronic heating, solar panels and passive solar/thermal gains.
- Exceptional pool zone on the lower level including gas heated 15m lap pool, concrete paving with hydronic heating and supporting poolroom and deck complete with superb water views.
- Separate front entry to both old and new sections of the home. Includes four car parking spaces - 2 undercover and 2 off-street. Walking distance to Salamanca, Sandy Bay and Hobart CBD.
Photographs courtesy of Jason Busch and Milton Lowe
Outdoor Entertaining Area
No open times scheduled. Contact Agent to arrange a viewing.